Cork Worlds 1996
Cork also hosted the World University Debating Championships in 2009
First Rounds 1.This house would put pragmatism before its principles.
2. This house would test nuclear weapons.
3. This house would rebuild the Berlin Wall.
4. This house would sacrifice economic growth for the good of the environment.
5. This house would give racists a platform.
6. This house would make the blood of the patriarchy run in the streets. (enforced humour round)
7. This house would heed its priests.
8. This house believes that developing nations should adopt Western feminism.
9. This house would in trial by jury.
Octo Final: This house would reject big government.
Qtr Final: This house believes that the melting pot has failed.
Semi Final: This house would let the language die.
Final: This house believes that strong dictatorship is better than weak democracy.
Board of Irish College Societies National Awards 1996 Best Event: World Debating Championships http://www.bics.ie/pages/page/site/1996awards/
Article from the Galway Literary and Debating Society publication, The UCG College Annual 1996: http://litndeb.nuigalway.ie/downloads/UCGannuals/1996%20Annual/Worlds.htm