Diarmuid Conway is a former Auditor of the Philosophical Society in the 147th Session and an Honorary Life Member. He was President of UCC Students' Union in 1994/95. He is known to have introduced the term IONA at the World Universities' Debating Council. He studied Commerce at UCC.
Winner: Bene Merenti (Philosophical) 1998/1999
Winner: Special Award for Student of the Decade 1998/1999
Competitive Debating Achievements
- Winner: Irish Times Debating Competition 1995. (Partner: Alan Roberts)
- Winner: World Universities' Debating Championships Public Speaking, Ateneo, 1999.
- Winner: World Universities' Debating Championships World Masters, Ateneo, 1999. (Partners: Colm Ó Cinnéide, John Long, Gavin Hurley)
- Runner-up: World Universities' Debating Championships World Masters, Sydney, 2000. (Partner: Muireann Ní Chinnéide)
- Winner: Cambridge Union Society IV 1997/98 (Partner: Liam Herrick)
- Winner: UCD Vice-President's Cup 1998 (Partner: Liam Herrick)
- Winner: Glasgow Ancients 1997 (Partner: Liam Herrick)
Adjudication & Administration Experience
- Grand Final Judge: World Universities' Debating Championships, Sydney, 2000.